Baby, it’s cold outside! No wonder that January was designated National Soup Month. We have a delicious soup recipe to warm up your stomachs, and hearts. It incorporates Mila® micro-sliced chia as an ingredient, so you know it’s healthy!
Mila is a super food that is gluten-free, trans-fat free, sugar-free, and is a superior plant-based source of protein and fiber. Mila uses different varieties of the chia seed to provide a wide array of nutrients. By combining these crops, you get a nutritionally robust product.
Enjoy this pureed soup while getting your daily serving of Mila and increase your intake of leafy greens and other nutritious whole foods. This soup is rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals, not to mention flavor!
Mouth-Watering Mila Soup
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable stock, separated
- 3 cups leafy greens, chopped
- ½ tsp. thyme (fresh or dried)
- ½ tsp. cumin
- Juice from ½ lemon
- ¼ cup quinoa
- 2 Tbsp. Mila
- Optional: garlic (minced)
- In a bowl, place Mila in 1 cup of vegetable stock to hydrate. Set aside.
- Using a tall frying pan or wide-bottom pan, sauté chopped onion in olive oil until translucent (3-5 minutes). Add garlic to pan if preferred.
- Add remaining 3 cups of vegetable stock, chopped greens, thyme, cumin, lemon juice, and quinoa to pan; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium; cook until quinoa is translucent and greens are wilted (8-12 minutes).
- Add soup and hydrated Mila (including the remaining vegetable stock) to a blender and puree until smooth.
This flavorful soup can also be made into a hearty dip or spread by reducing the vegetable stock used to boil the greens by 1 ½ cups.