There’s no time for siesta, only fiesta on this fifth day of May! It’s a day to celebrate American-Mexican culture and that means parties, dancing, singing and partaking of delicious Mexican food.
To get your senses excited, check out the following three recipes (a main meal, a snack and a dessert) that are flavorful and nutritious, and which incorporate products by PURE. Whether you’re hosting the party or attending, these will surely satisfy.
Tortilla Bake with Mila® chia
Simply delicious main meal that the whole family will enjoy. With the addition of Mila, you know you’re getting your daily serving of nutrition. The fiber found in Mila is predominantly soluble fiber, a form that may be especially beneficial for promoting cardiovascular health. *
- 1 ½ lbs. lean ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 16-oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 2 16-oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 scoops Mila chia
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package tortillas, cut into strips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook turkey, onion, bell pepper and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until turkey is no longer pink. Drain.
- Combine turkey with remaining ingredients, except the tortilla strips.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with tortilla strips.
- Top them with half of the mixture, spreading evenly.
- Repeat layers, alternating between tortilla strips and mixture.
- Cover and bake for 25 minutes, or until heated through.
This simple and colorful salsa is easy to make and tastes delicious! Serve with chips or on tacos.
- 3 ripe mangos, diced
- ½ cup Goji superfruit
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 large lime, juiced
- ¼ teaspoon salt, to taste
- In a bowl, combine the bell pepper, onion, cilantro and jalapeno.
- Drizzle with the juice of one lime and mix well.
- Season with salt to taste.
- For best flavor, let the salsa rest for 10 minutes or longer.
Mila Horchata Pudding
A horchata is a refreshing Mexican drink made with rice, milk, vanilla and cinnamon. We’ve taken the basic drink and added Mila chia for a nutritious and fiber-filled pudding.
- ½ cup Mila® chia
- ½ cups hot water
- 1 ¼ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup sugar
- 14 oz. coconut milk, canned
- Place the Mila in the hot water and let it sit for 15 minutes. The Mila will absorb the water.
- Mix in all the other ingredients and let the pudding chill in the refrigerator.
Senors and senoritas, get your party started! Do you have a creative recipe for Cinco de Mayo to share with our readers? Perhaps a GoYin Guacamole or fresh salsa verde with Greens? Let us know.
Find more recipes at livepure.com/recipes.